Sunday, October 27, 2013

Visualization: Race Recap

About 6 months ago, Sway asked us to write our race recap for Ironman Florida.  I hadn't read it until she asked us to re-write our race recap last weekend.  You can read about what I thought my race was going to be like back then here.

As I sit here 5 hours, 14 hours, and 4 minutes away from the actual start of the race, I am filled with emotions.  I packed all my gear up, made note cards, made an extensive excel spreadsheet with everything I need so I can check it over and over again.

I got a promotion at work -- so to be honest the past few weeks have been focused on that.  While I kept up my training, my brain was in work mode.  I wasn't feeling well yesterday after a bike and a few hours of working.  I tried to rest the rest of the day.  I woke up this morning still feeling tired, but better.    I gradually found the best way to pack my stuff and I found myself getting emotional when I packed up   a few things, talked to Jason about where he should stand at the finish line, and obviously writing this.

I kinda thought about an Ironman here and there in my life, but I knew after I finished my first half Ironman last year I wanted to do a full Ironman.  After a few days of crying and wondering how much further I could go, I signed up to volunteer for the Florida Ironman.

While I want to kick some serious ass on race day, as I reflect on the past year -- I can't tell you how much has changed for me.  Don't be mad, but I never used to understand "it's all about the journey" when people said that.  This post isn't about that -- so I will stop myself now, but I will write it at some point.   The fact is -- my life has improved significantly in multiple ways during this training.  I am so proud of myself for everything I have accomplished and how hard I have worked this year to make myself a better person, therapist, and athlete.

********************************************************

Early Friday night, the guys grill up some meat and make the ladies dinner.  We eat as a group, laugh, and have a great time.  We probably take pictures in the crazy socks we wore last year.  Marianne probably makes me take 100 more pictures.   We relax and watch the sunset off our balcony.  Before I know it, it's time to sleep.  I'm glad we had a few nights to sleep in the condo because sometimes it takes me some time to fall asleep in a new environment.  Thank goodness I remembered my pillow, alarm clock, and fan.  Just like home! :)

I wake up Saturday morning and I am feeling good.  I can't believe it's here.  It's RACE day.  It's GO TIME.  Holy shit.  OMG.  I'm nervous.  I'm going to kick ass.  I hope I have a great race.  I hope everyone finishes.

I eat my banana and almond butter, take a few sips of water, and walk around to stimulate the digestive system. ;)  I get ready, grab my bags and head down with Jenny, Mike, and Jason to meet the rest of the team.

We walk to the race start -- laughing as usual.  My Mom meets us at the race start and I have her wait with Trung and the rest of the spectators.  We get body marked, load up our bikes with nutrition, and drop our special needs bags off.

Then.... We walk to the beach.  I am nervous.  Of course I am.  Everyone else is.  I focus on deep breathing.  I focus on visualizing a great swim.   I tell myself positive mantra's: I am a strong, determined person and I am going to kick ass, I have worked my ass off and I am ready, I am a baby not a bad ass. We take 100 pictures.  I'm quiet.  I focus on deep breathing.  I talk a little with Sway, Lorri, and others about the current and where we will stand.  I hug everyone.  I hug my Mom and Jason and I walk down to the beach with Lorri, Sway, Dolan, and Jess.

The national anthem is played and I hold back tears.  I am here.  Look what I have accomplished already.  We walk into the water and its calm.  I start to swim, but there are people everywhere its hard to get into a rhythm at first.  Most of the time my head is out of the water, but I still try to turn my head and find my rhythm.  I get some room and finally getting swimming and I feel great.  My breathing is normal, I am pulling hard, and kicking the way I want.  Once we get to the first marker, it's a little congested, but I kept swimming and made it to the next buoy before I knew it.  I picked up my pace going back to the shore -- I came out of the water in 35 minutes.  I ran across the beach -- felt a little out of breath, but once I got back in the water and started swimming I felt great.  I had some more space and I picked up the pace.  I finished the second lap in 35 minutes.

Swim Time:  1 hour 10 minutes

As I run out of the water, I put my goggles on my head, and start taking my wet suit off.  The wetsuit strippers get my wetsuit off and I run towards the shower.  I make a quick exit from the showers -- didn't want to get too much water in my eyes.  I hear Jason/my Mom and TWS people screaming for me, and I try to smile for once --- but maintain my focus on what I am to do next.

I get into the transition tent, sit down, and the volunteer hands me my bag.  I set my wetsuit down.  I take my goggles, swim cap, and ear plugs off and put to side.  I fix my hair and put my headband on.  I wash/dry my face.  Take a sip of water.  Put sunscreen, my sunglasses and helmet on.  I put sunscreen on my arms and legs.  Put my nutrition in my pockets.  Put my socks and shoes on..... I stand up and put my CHAMOIS cream on.  A LOT OF IT.  I head out of the tent and get my bike from the volunteer.  I get to the mount line, mount my bike, and I am ready to go.

T1: 10 Minutes or LESS.

I get on my bike and my heart rate is a little high, so I keep my cadence down.  I focus on just going forward and getting my heart rate to where it needs to be.  I take two salt sticks as soon as I can.  I focus on taking small frequent sips of my nutrition and begin eating my clif bar around mile 10.  I take little bites and try to space my nutrition out.  I am feeling great on the bike, my legs feel strong, the Zipp's are helping me go faster without as much effort, a lot of nice legal drafting --- I take off like a rocket.  I focus on keeping my head in the ideal position, minimal turning of my head, and aero position at all times.  I skip the special needs station at mile 56, but grab a fresh water at mile 70.  I continue to attack. ha.

I finish the bike in 5 hours and 36 minutes.  A perfect 20mph average pace.  I YELL "I'm GOING 20!!!!!!!"  YESSSSS.

I get into the transition tent.  I take off my helmet, put on my hat.  I take off my cycling shoes, put on my running shoes.  Put on my race belt, re-load with nutrition.  Spray myself with sunscreen and put massive amounts of sports slick all over myself.

T2: 10 minutes or less. 

I start running and feel a little funky which is to be expected -- I start off slow and just focus on keeping on foot in front of the other.  I get to see Jason, my Mom, and the TWS family in one short mile.  YES. After about 15 minutes, I start feeling a grove.  I run as I trained.  I ran a mile, walked 30-60 seconds.  I felt great the whole time -- didn't need my special needs bag at all.  I started to slow down around mile 15, but I focused on my time goal.  I told myself that I have worked hard this whole year and I owe it to myself to leave it all out there.  I push myself.  I remember the times Sway asked me to do more when I thought I couldn't.  I think about everyone else busting their ass to do their best and I push.

I come up to the TWS section on my final mile.  I am all smiles.  I give everyone a high five.  I hold back tears.  I think continue on my last mile of the run.  It's hard to stay composed, but I gotta look good on camera. ;)  I also have to breath. ha.  I can hear the music, the clapping, and the cheering.  As I get to the finishers shoot, I take it slow.   I hear "Kristen Corsi, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN" and I do my best Kristen dance that I am capable of doing.  I hold on to the catcher and find Jason and my Mom.

Total Run Time: 4 hours and 50 minutes.

Total Race Time: 11 hours 56 minutes.  

I walk with Jason and my Mom back up to the TWS spectator area.  I can NOT wait to see the rest of my team and continue to cheer for everyone still on the course.  My adrenaline is flowing and I am tired, but feel great.  I am so proud of myself for finishing this Ironman and for everything I have accomplished.

I drink a protein shake and some snacks as I watch every single one of my teammates finish.  We gather as a team and go with the last teammate to the finishers shoot.  We did it.  We are all IRONMEN and WOMEN.  WE ARE ALL BAD ASSES!








No comments:

Post a Comment