Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Original Badass

The inaugural Ultraman Florida is being held this week.   The race starts on Friday.  Day 1 consists of a 6.2 mile swim and then a 90 mile bike, Day 2 is a 171.4mile bike, Day 3 is a 52.4 mile run. My coach, Consuela Lively, is the race director.   

While I wish everyone a great race, I will be cheering especially for my friend Lorri Moyer.  I call her THE original badass.   

During my first season of TWS, I was in awe of  Lorri.   She was so fast and always working hard, but never complaining.   I always hoped I could be "like Lorri."   I still have her in my phone as "Lorri Fast."  That's how I remembered her when I first started TWS.   One week she had to do a longer ride during the week and I had to do my Saturday 40 mile ride during the week since I was going out of town.   I will NEVER forget this day.   We went to Avalon and she pulled me the whole 40 miles going about 18mph.   I had my road bike back then and I really pushed myself to keep her speed.  Even with the draft, it was still hard.   I felt amazing that I could ride with her.  I literally had a "cycling high" after that ride.   I felt so cool riding with her.  ha.  I remember asking her if that was hard and she just said "not really."   Bad ass.  

Like I said earlier, Lorri never complains.  She just does the work.   I will NEVER forget the  ONE DAY that Lorri Moyer was "bitchy."  It was like the chick never had PMS before and didn't know what to do with herself.   She was so angry for having a slight attitude.  I was laughing hysterically.   It was so puzzling to her because every other day she tackles with such ease.  I enjoyed that day a lot.  Bad ass.

Last year, as I walked into the ocean at Ironman Florida, Sway, Jess, and Marianne ran into the water ahead of me and I hesitated.   I saw Lorri come up on my right and I reached for her hand.   She gave me a squeeze.   She encouraged me.  It was almost like she squeezed some Lorri Moyer badass energy into my body.   My nerves just went away after that squeeze.   

The past few months Lorri has trained for Ultraman without any other official training partners.  She would ride on the trainer for hours and wake up at 4:30 to run, swim till the point she couldn't feel her hands because the water was so cold.   She PR'd her marathon time. She trained and didn't make any excuses.   She did what needed to be done even when she didn't have 20 other people training for the same event.   Bad ass.

Lorri just has something about her that puts her above and beyond the average person when it comes to badassary.   Thats why I call her THE Original BADass.   

So.. to the original badass, Lorri Moyer, I wish you the best of luck as you begin your Ultraman race.  I can't wait to cheer you on --- and hope to sing you a song or two as you pass me. I will be sure to drink plenty of coffee and make you laugh.   You rock and you are going to conquer this race just like everything else you do.   Love you!!! :) 






No comments:

Post a Comment